Sunday 29 September 2013

FOSSIL HUNTER

I am a fossil hunter just like Mary Anning who found the first dinosaur bones ever 200 years ago. It is amaaazzzing what I have found near our house in Drakes Broughton. It all started when Ed found a Devil's Toenail in our garden. A Devil's Toenail is what people used to call a fossil called a GRYPHAEA. A gryphaea is a creature that lived 200 MILLION YEARS AGO when the dinosaurs lived on the Earth. It looked a bit like an oyster. It is now EXTINCT.

Ed told us where he used to find lots of gryphaeas when he was a boy. He told us to look near the fishing pond. Daddy and I went fossil hunting. We took tools like hand forks, trowels, knives and a hammer. I felt like a real PALEONTOLOGIST. We found lots of gryphaeas.





When Mummy, Libby and I went to pick blackberries I started to look for fossils on the farmer's track. I found this amazing fossil. There are lots of tiny fossil shells in this piece of rock and there is also something that looks like a fly.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment