Thursday 3 April 2014

STATIC ELECTRICITY EXPERIMENTS

I found some experiments in my Usborne book that I wanted to do. They helped me to find out about STATIC ELECTRICITY. These experiments helped me to learn that sparks happen when some materials are rubbed together. It is all to do with ELECTRON PARTICLES that get CHARGED when you rub them. 

First of all, I did a balloon experiment. When the rubber on the balloon rubs against my hair it creates a type of electricity which makes my hair stand on end!

 

I then did another experiment using black pepper. I put some pepper in a plastic box and put the lid on. I then rubbed the lid with a hat made out of wool. Soon specks of pepper started jumping about and stuck to the inside of the lid. It looked really cool!


 
 
The next experiment I did was using bits of paper from a hole punch. I scattered the little circles on a plate and then I rubbed a ruler on the woollen hat to create static electricity. Wool is one of the best materials for creating static electricity. It passes electron particles to the ruler very easily. I loved the result of this experiment.
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment